A leader in advanced energy engineering innovations require a Test & Validation Engineer to join their team, The role is a hands-on role, with a background in the test and validation of new products. You will also be responsible for writing and following test plans and executing tests, gathering data and reporting on results to internal and external customers.
You will be working with software forming motor/controller test rigs, mechanical, (both low and high voltage,) and electrical systems. You will identify and implement any equipment needed to perform testing or improve facilities; ensuring accuracy, repeatability and industry standards are always met. This may include input towards fixturing design, creation of device specifications and innovative test methodologies.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Self-motivated, pro-active, and capable of working under pressure with the ability to work to tight time scales, take ownership of problems and resolve them.
- As part of a design engineering team, provide guidance and support to test technicians.
- Create technical documentation, e.g., concept documents, system functional and design specifications, technical specifications, and test plan/reports for all designs.
- Specification of mechanical fixturing and test measurement equipment; preparation of test rigs and equipment; setup of data acquisition systems; creation of automated rig control scripts; supervision of Test Technicians; post-processing and analysis of data.
- Writing test specifications and carrying out tests against customer or internal requirement specifications.
- Designing test rigs, as well as understanding CAN bus systems. Software can include MATLAB, LabVIEW, CANalyser amongst others.
- Promoting repeatability and robustness of test processes with a focus on safety
- Liaising with external test houses to assist with the delivery of tests, including reporting and maintaining to agreed schedules.
- Maintaining test equipment, advising, and implementing improvements as required, including HS&E activities relating to test facilities.
- Ensuring a safe working environment by following, supporting, and maintaining working practices
- Supervise and support test technicians.
- Customer issue resolution (could involve infrequent customer site visit).
- Be present and hands on in the workplace to support projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience & Qualifications:
- BSc or BEng Degree in Electronic/Electrical Engineering or similar engineering Degree qualification.
- HND and 10+ years of experience in electro-mechanical motor / controller design preferred.
- Minimum 4 years’ design experience working in an electro-mechanical design environment.
- Strong mechanical or electrical engineering background with the ability to apply fundamental engineering principles to the analysis and interpretation of test results, as well as to the specification of mechanical and electrical assemblies to support in-house testing.
- Strong analytical and judgment skills including the ability to troubleshoot and advise on solutions in testing.
- Practical knowledge in the design, use, and application of electric machines or similar components beneficial.
- Mathematical modelling and simulation experience using software such as PSPICE and MATLAB/SIMULINK.
- Experience with basic electronics tools: oscilloscope, data logger, power supplies, active loads.
- Proficiency in MATLAB, LabVIEW, Python, C+ and SolidWorks preferred.
- Valid UK driving license.