Want to be part of a team transforming healthcare?
We are looking for a Laboratory Technician with a strong background in scientific laboratory systems. Our ideal candidate has a proven track record in an industrial R&D setting and would be willing to apply these skills in a fast-paced environment.
This is a lab-based role and you will be responsible for the implementation and operation of a range of laboratory test systems, including but not limited to high-vacuum chambers, high-voltage equipment, and Xray imaging systems.
You will have the opportunity to apply your skills and creativity to significantly impact company technology. You will be working closely with a bright and creative team of physicists and engineers who have deep experience in research, product development and design.
You will have an unrivalled opportunity to develop cutting edge technology which will revolutionise healthcare options for millions and help us to disrupt the Medical Imaging industry.
Medical imaging helps patients by enabling early and accurate diagnosis. However, 2D X-rays can be inconclusive as they give a fundamentally limited view of our 3D bodies. 3D images are possible with CT scanners but these are much expensive, give a high dose of radiation and moving a critically ill patient to a scanner can be labour-intensive and risky.
We are helping make 3D imaging more accessible to the people who need it by producing mobile flat-panel X-ray systems that can be brought to patients giving low-cost, low-dose imaging.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Supporting the smooth operation of the R&D labs by installing custom rigs, cleaning vacuum components and performing routine maintenance activities
- Running experiments and wafer processing activities
- Stock taking lab consumables and ensuring stocks levels are maintained. This will include purchasing and using our Microsoft NAV Dynamics purchasing system.
- Maintaining safe working environments and following protocols to ensure compliance with company and regulatory standards
- Working with Physicists and Engineers to design, build and customise test rigs required for R&D activities. The work involves using equipment in our in-house workshop and liaising with external vendors and workshops
- Ensuring deliveries are received, checked, labelled and logged in the Equipment Database before handing them over to the purchaser.
- Arranging internal and external PAT Testing/Calibration of equipment and liaising with the Finance Team to ensure all Assets are correctly logged
Essential skills and experience
- Qualification in the Physical Sciences or Engineering (HNC minimum)
- Ability to communicate technical requirements to suppliers both verbally and in writing
- Inventory maintenance
- Ability to run experiments using control software in a methodical manner, analyse results and write up conclusions
- Experience of hands-on building and customisation of test rigs using custom and standard parts
- Experience of delivery of small projects
- Aptitude for analysis, organisation and planning and ability to manage own workload
- Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively to support a team to achieve success
- Detail focus with the tenacity to see tasks through to their successful completion
Desirable skills and experience
- Working knowledge around high voltage and vacuum systems
- Chemical handling and techniques
- Experience of working in ‘start-up’ environments with a culture of fast decision making