We are seeking a Java Web Developer for an interesting pharmaceutical / biological company based in Abingdon.
If you have an interest in Science, Biology or Pharma with some experience in Java, React and CLI for Utilities (ideally), we'd love to hear from you.
You will be joining a team Molecular Biologists developing world-leading DNA analysis techniques. They need a skilled Java coder to help the development and maintenance of an extensive suite of Java CLI based DNA sequencing bioinformatics tools. They are also keen to initiate projects to create several new graphical user interfaces for many of these utilities.
You can be based at home for around 2 days per week but they remainder of your week will probably need to be based at the laboratory as the company benefits from a collaborative work approach.
This role will be based at Systems Biology Laboratory’s (SBL)’s office in Abingdon, Oxfordshire, with a salary of up to £40,000 & benefits (private medical, company pension etc)
Reporting to the Scientific Director, you will be responsible for:
- Developing both new and existing Java based command-line applications for the processing of large DNA sequencing bioinformatic datasets.
- Provide collaborative support for the production of novel web interfaces for data visualisation using React.
- Supporting and improving existing in-house software, including CLI software and web applications.
- Present updates at regular in-house lab meetings
You will join a not-for profit community interest concern who want to make a difference to improving patient treatment options through high quality research.
They have a varied portfolio of research projects including molecular mechanisms of Human memory, improved and unbiased diagnostic methods for infections, immune status in chronic fatigue syndrome and, more recently, free coronavirus testing for GP surgeries across South Oxfordshire.
They are dedicated to continuous training and development opportunities.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Degree educated, 2.1 or above in relevant discipline.
- Experience in Java coding for CLI utilities
- Use of Java React or similar to produce graphical user interfaces
- Familiarity with multithreading environments
- Able to work in an agile way, extending existing code to meet new requirements as experiments progress.
- Self-sufficient, able to develop software independently with little technical guidance
- Collaborative, keen to be part of a wider scientific team.
- Bash scripting
- Experience with AWS - Amplify, S3, AppSync, Lambda, etc
- Familiarity with biological sciences, ideally with manipulation of DNA sequence datasets